Private finance has an important role to play in accelerating the transition to regenerative agriculture by actively increasing information and access to green finance specifically tailored to farmers and food producers.
- Possible solutions could include farmers and businesses in the food supply chain working together to reduce emissions and store carbon. By using specific metrics for on-farm reduction and sequestration programs, food companies can verifiably reduce their own Scope 3 (supply chain) emissions through direct financial support to farmers. In this way, the benefit of reduced emissions is shared between the farmer and the buyer.
- This requires that government, farmers and the food supply chain agree on a common set of metrics that comprehensively measure the sustainable results of changing farming practices. By doing so, farmers can be rewarded for achieving their goals by the government, their supply chain customers and even other private sector actors who want to support nature-based solutions in the UK.
- The financial sector can also participate in the validation of this mechanism, bringing a perspective of solvency to these dynamics. Recognizing that farmers’ efforts to reduce emissions will make their business more attractive to their retail customers (and help reduce risk), banks can then factor this into the cost of lending.
- Banks can also partner with food retailers to provide transition financing to their farmers to reduce emissions in a holistic and scalable way.
- More broadly, funding is also needed to provide innovative solutions in the management of farms and the industrial food system. For example, satellite data can help farmers sustainably manage their farms within a larger ecological system, while preparing for extreme weather shocks and adapting to long-term weather effects. Blockchain solutions can also enable traceability and transparency on the carbon footprint of food production.
Read Maria’s full article (PDF 4 MB) here
To find out more about our support for the agricultural sector, please contact Ian Burrow, Head of Agriculture and Energy: [email protected]
This material is published by NatWest Group plc (“NatWest Group”), for information purposes only and should not be considered to provide specific advice. Recipients should make their own independent evaluation of this information, and no action should be taken, based solely on it. This material must not be reproduced or disclosed without our consent. It is not intended for distribution in any jurisdiction where this would be prohibited. While this information is believed to be reliable, it has not been independently verified by NatWest Group and NatWest Group makes no representations or warranties (express or implied) of any kind, with respect to the accuracy or completeness of this information, and accepts no responsibility or liability for any loss or damage arising in any way from the use made of or reliance on this information. Unless otherwise stated, opinions, forecasts or estimates are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of the directors or officers of NatWest Group, as of this date and are subject to change without notice.
Green loans with no arrangement fees are open to applications from eligible UK businesses with an annual turnover of less than £25 million (other than for UK businesses eligible for property finance where other eligibility criteria apply). eligibility may apply) who seek to take out a loan to acquire assets that fall within the eligible list compiled by the bank and subject to review and modification on a rolling basis. Security may be required. Fees (other than application fees) may apply. Over 18 only. Subject to status, eligibility and approval. Professional use only. Any property or asset used as collateral may be repossessed or confiscated if you do not continue to repay any debt secured on it. Failure to comply with the terms of the loan agreement could result in an event of default under the loan and (depending on their terms) could also affect other facilities of the borrower. Conditions apply.